Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Atomic Symbol He



He

I was still just five years old
When I came home from school and told
My mum that I had some homework to do,
I took out my red exercise
Book and I could see her eyes
Widen twice in size as her eyes do,

When I know that she has seen
A science thing, she quickly gleams,
And on this day that was the way that she
Looked at me so keen and ping
Suddenly my mum did sing
When in my book she saw an H and e!

"Son that stands for Helium!"
I looked at her and just said, "Um..."
But she just went on and on and on...
"It's the atomic element
That has without argument
In it only two things called protons!"

"Yawn" I said, she did not hear.
She said, "And..." (I did not care)
"I think you'll find it is quite colorless...
In fact its usual state is gas..."
(I giggled thinking something crass)
"It's tasteless and indeed quite odorless..."

"It's also true that Helium
Is not as light as Hydrogen
Making it the second lightest gas,
And scientists are adamant
That this abundant element
Makes up for a quarter of all mass!"

And with some exasperation,
With just a hint of vexation,
I stopped her there and said rather loudly,
"Mum this homework is so I
Can learn to read and this week I
Need to read the pronoun known as HE!"

And with that I marched off to
My room in which I quickly threw
My books upon the floor and before soon,
I threw the evening fast away
For in my room for me to play
With was a red helium balloon!

No comments:

Post a Comment